September 19, 2005

Some Clarification

This is just a quick post to clear up a tiny misconception. Mamaw was my grandmother. The first a is pronounced like math, the second like awl. I thought the reference to her and my papaw having been married for nearly 60 years would have been a clue. From the many times MT has had to ask if I mean my mom or my grandmother when I would talk about her, I should have known it wasn't a term used much in the north. Then again, you may not know that I am 24, and my mother is 42. If my mom had died, I might have died with her. I can't even think about losing her yet. But while I am deeply saddened about losing my grandmother, I also know that it was her time, and she's better off this way.

DS and I are going to Kentucky in the morning. It's a long drive, and the mass is Wednesday morning. (My grandparents on both sides are very very Catholic.) Then we'll drive home, because I have to be at work Thursday. Well, the people I work with are amazing, and I'm sure they would have made it possible to stay longer if I needed too. But I had already planned a trip home in the near future, so being there for the mass is enough for me.

Thank you all for thoughts and for caring enough to give your condolences. I'm sure I'll appreciate Spinning Girl's post when I read it, and it means so much to have someone I hardly know draw me a picture. Even people I've never spoken to are coming by with kind words.

Oh, and I've decided to keep the Christmas present I bought her. It was a mug commemorating the world's largest carousel, because she collected the little horses. I'll drink my chocolate milk from it and remember her with a smile.

3 comments:

Southernspeak4 said...

Oh Sleep,

I'm so sorry! I noticed you were MIA, but hadn't dropped by in a couple of days. My grandmother lives in Kentucky...those Kentucky grandmas are a wonder, aren't they?:) She is the glue that holds the family together, grandmas have a way of doing that. I will send a prayer of comfort up for you, and take care on your trip.

Rowan said...

whoops, I too just assumed you meant your mother...my apologies, I just thought you were welcomed home into their later years in life, much later years. Sorry for your loss once more.

cg-c said...

So sorry to hear of your loss.