September 11, 2005

A Lesson in Biscuit Making

Here is a true story about my breakfast yesterday....

DS: What do you want for breakfast this morning?

SG: Oooh! Biscuits and gravy!

DS: Okay. I've never made biscuits before.

SG: It's not hard.. *gives DS a weird look*

-- some times passes, noises are heard from the kitchen while I visit blogs --

DS: Any idea how to make gravy?

SG: It'll say on the package.

DS: Any idea where that package might be?

SG: Where we keep the food...

-- more time.. more noises... --

-- DS comes to get me --

DS: It's almost done. I hope it tastes alright. I've never made anything with dough before.

* I have no idea what he's talking here.. I think, "how hard can popping them open, and placing them on a cookie sheet be?"

-- We both go into the kitchen, and I open the oven door. --

DS: See? They look too big.

SG: They do look a little funny. But I think they'll be okay. The edges are turning golden brown, we should probably take them out.

DS: The thing said to cook them for 10 minutes, and it's only been 8.

SG: Well, give them one more minute, but then they have to come out. When the edges start turning brown, they're usually done.

-- I stir the gravy for a bit.. and then take the biscuits out of the oven. --

DS: I hope they taste alright.

SG: Well, if they don't, I bought two. We'll just cook the other one.

DS: What do you mean you bought two?

!!!

-- I open the fridge, show him.. TWO! things of biscuits. --

DS: We had biscuits already made??

SG: How the heck did you make these?

DS: With bisquick! I thought that's why you bought it!

SG: No! I bought biscuits for biscuits. The bisquick was for dumplins!

DS: Crap!

SG: Wow. I wondered why you kept saying all that crazy crap. I can't believe you just made me biscuits from scratch. You're awesome.

DS: Yeah, well, we'll see after we taste them

* The biscuits were indeed awesome, and I am in awe both at his lack of knowledge concerning pre-made biscuits, and his ability to just whip them up without said knowledge.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

DS is a keeper!

Sleep Goblin said...

Don't I know it!!

Spinning Girl said...

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! (--she says, taking another bite of her Honey Nut Cheerios dinner, whilst weeping)

ps You make dumplins!!!? I love thee.

Sleep Goblin said...

Well... I haven't yet. My old roommate always made them. But now that she's several states away, I must learn to do it myself.

Monkey said...

Mmmm.... homemade biscuits. Yum. I'm back from Siberia. Thanks for holding the fort down in my absence.

Oscar Madison said...

(belated) happy birthday!

What are you going to do for dumplings?

Sleep Goblin said...

Well, he didn't use all the bisquick. Though I just tried my hand at them for the first time, and I have decided that mere boiling water is not good enough. I need to get some chicken broth!

Thanks for all the Happy Birthdays!

Monkey said...

Sleep Goblin... did you see that you are AT THE TOP?

Thanks for the heads up on the dragon email. We had no idea. No idea!!

Jesse said...

Yeah, that's because R's from the South. Every self respecting southern man was born with the ability to make biscuits. I'd be more proud if he'd made them from scratch rather than bisquick...but it'll do for R.

Sleep Goblin said...

You know it Monkey! AT THE TOP!! That makes us both just so awesome!

Well you know Jesse, he claims he's not a southern boy, so you'll have to fight that out with him.

Anonymous said...

"I'z wondering if you'd make me some of them biscuits, mmm hmm..."

(Guess that movie....)

Monkey said...

Duck billed! I remember the line, and cannot remember the movie! Oh fickle memory! Fie!

Sleep Goblin said...

Mr. Yak,
While I drew that particular picture, you'll have to thank DS for the creation of that creature, whom he says is me.

Mr. Duck-Billed,
Drawing a blank on the movie, but I'm reminded of my 4th grade science report on the duck-billed platypus. The mammal who wasn't a mammal.. Salt dough.. mmmm.

Sleep Goblin said...

You know I thought that.. cause of the mm hmm.. but I didn't see it all the way through, so I wasn't sure.

Anonymous said...

SlG - Yep, what IS it, I get that a lot, lol.

HY - you got it! You win your own Billy Bob Thornton doll, with or without Angelina and a machete! Oh, and a Dwight Yoakam CD.

Happy Birthday, btw, SlG.:)

By the way, there's a soundboard of him, if anyone's interested. Great for pranking McDonald's with my 11-yo.

"Y'all got any fried taters in there?"

Yup, we do.

"Reckon you could make me some biscuits?"

Sir, we don't have any right now.

"You ought not killed my little brother."

I'm sorry?

"They let me loose from the nervous hospital, said I'z well, mmm hmm."

...nervous breathing..."I'm sorry....lemme see if I can find those biscuits for you..."

HEE hehehee, hours of preteen amusement....I don't know what my excuse is. We're good, though, we usually let them in on the joke by the end.

DBP/SS4

FRITZ said...

Were the biscuits moist and damp and slightly yeasty?

That's the best way to eat biscuits.

Especially with a little bit of KY...I mean butter...

Must go now. Need batteries...

Sleep Goblin said...

Yup, they were. Though I think that's cause he made them too big. I liked them that way though. I think you're right.