September 22, 2005

The Drive

You may or may not know that the drive from my new home in Wisconsin to my old home in Kentucky ranges from 8 to 9 hours, depending on which parent I'm going home to see. That means I drove 16 hours in two days. Taking the drive with DS seems to insure the view of a burning vehicle along the way...

MT has already scolded me for not getting a picture of the actual flames. I assure you, they were impressive. The front 1/2 of the car was completely engulfed, with flames shooting over 15 feet high. The police were letting us pass this, and I rolled down my window to get a better angle. Meanwhile, DS is exclaiming over and over, "I can't believe they're letting us drive around this! What if the flames reach the engine! This car can still explode, I can't believe this!" Of course, he didn't act on his own fears, and refuse to go around. We were "treated" with the karma we deserved for our gawking when, as we were just side by side, something within the cab of the car did indeed explode. I ducked in fright, sure I too would soon be in flames, and missed my photo opportunity.

The rest of the trip was less interesting, and I employed my time by finishing Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. I have no sympathy for Willoughby, would have preferred Elinor with Colonel Brandon, and overall much preferred Pride and Prejudice. Not that I wouldn't recommend it to a friend...

I did manage to take some pictures of the windmill farm. It's one of the few sights that break up the constant parade of corn fields along the way. Someone I once worked with had never seen one, and was shocked to hear of their size. And so without further ado, a windmill farm:

13 comments:

Monkey said...

Driving with DS always ensures that you will see a car in flames?? Is there something you're not telling us?

Willoughby is an asshat. Ugh.

Gorgeous pictures. Is that tabacky?

Jesse said...

I would definitely not recommend Pride and Prejudice to a friend. One of these days, I'll post a picture of my copy. Assuming my parents still have it at their place that is.

Sleep Goblin said...

Monkey - In lieu of an explanation, I'll give you a link.

Jesse - Have you read it, or is there something terribly wrong with your copy that you're afraid to?

Nikster - I've actually never noticed them in the places I've known to be Amish. But then, they dont' really need electricity :)

Monkey said...

Oh my!!

Note to self: do not take roadtrips with DS.

*Monica said...

Asshat!!!

Rowan said...

uh huh, this is becoming more than coincidence me thinks.

Jesse said...

Oh, believe me, I've read it SG. How can I put this into a Victorian context...it sucked ass. There wasn't something horribly wrong with the copy I bought other than the novel itself. Now, however, it has some gross physical deformities which would probably bar the reader from discovering some key details.

Sleep Goblin said...

Wow.. such violence towards a book.. I'm shocked! You're usually so.. passive.

Is it the genre you hate? Or really and truly that one book?

Jesse said...

This is the only novel (out of 9 total) that I have read that I have disliked so.

That being said, it did not do much to encourage me to read more of it's kind and as such, this is a genre which I am pretty unfamiliar with. I wish it to remain so.

Apologies for the violence toward this inanimate object. I just remember the story making me want to tear my hair out.

Spinning Girl said...

Oooh, a windmill farm! Can you buy little gusts & breezes at their roadside stand?

Anonymous said...

so i assume jess that these windmill farms you speak of grow none other than windmills of course?-kel

Monkey said...

You can buy tiny torandoes at the roadside Windmill Farm stand.

Sleep Goblin said...

You all think you're so funny don't you??