October 17, 2005

Losing Faith

So, when I was a kid, my grandparents use to take me to Cardinal Stadium to see the Louisville Redbirds. It was here that my love of baseball grew. It was here that I learned to keep score the real way (I don't need those silly tips between plays that Miller Park puts on the scoreboard). It was here that I learned that it paid to be nice to people. You see, my grandparents had season tickets in the same two seats as far back as I can remember. They were always sweet to the people that worked at the stadium. Well, I've never seem them not be sweet. They knew the guy that wore the Billy Bird costume.

This meant my brother and I tended to get picked to go out on the field. Yeah, that's right. I rode the double-seater bike around Cardinal Stadium. (Please look away from my outfit, an overly large cheerleading shirt that makes it look like I'm not wearing shorts, and is further evidence to the very uncool person I once was. Please further ignore the fact that I've tricked myself into believing I have become cool with age.)

So what's my point? I'll tell you. Look closely at this picture of Billy Bird (this guy later took his way awesome "umpire dance" on the road). Notice his jersey? Look familiar?
You see, once upon a time, when the Louisville Redbirds were the Louisville Redbirds and not the Louisville Bats who play at Slugger Field, they were a AAA team owned by the St. Louis Cardinals. This, by the natural extrapolation of my young mind, made me a fan of said Cardinals.

In fact, in Middle School, some assignment gave me the opportunity to write to St. Louis, and tell them how much I adored their team. I don't really remember why one of my teachers thought we should write to sports teams or famous people or whatever it was. I do remember that I was rewarded some time later by a package full of free stuff, and a letter of thanks for being so supportive. No doubt, this only solidified my affiliation with the team. I was one of them.

So let's fast forward a bit. I get older, don't see my grandparent's so much, they get too old to get their money's worth out of season tickets, and suddenly, I'm the only baseball fan I know. Granted, I've never been the kind of fan that keeps up with the names of everyone on the team, or detailed accounts of their records. However, I am a very loyal fan. So when I started dating DS last year, an avid Yankee fan, it was only natural that I goad him throughout the season. This was especially fun when the Yankees failed to make it to the World Series while my Cardinals did. Though not so fun when we were beat by the Red Sox. The Red Sox?? Good God....

This year, I again have the opportunity to gloat over the Yankee's quick removal from the playoffs. Now.. DS is rooting for the Astros. He claims it's because he's in love with Roger Clemens, but his "Here we go Astros, clap clap" chants as the Cardinals keep losing have a certain malicious tone to them.

Oh right, I said I was getting to the point. Considering that the ties that brought me to this team were broken some time ago, with the Redbirds becoming the Riverbats, and finally the Bats as they changed hands several times, am I still required to be a fan of this team that keeps letting me down? Doesn't selling my real team (the Redbirds) constitute a breach of contract between us? Does the evidence of the planned demolition of Busch Stadium not further my argument? Does it hurt my case that I really liked St. Louis the two days I was there?

I'm thinking about switching to the Cubs... I've always loved Chicago. The very grandparents that gave me baseball genes love the Cubs. I don't think I'll have to worry about facing off each post-season with DS this way... I need some advice.

----------------------------
Before I forget: Yesterday, both the manager AND a batter got thrown out of the game!!! Ugh. And tonight, we were winning most of the game. Suddenly, in the 8th inning, they give it up. I guess when you're one game away from losing the playoffs, it's okay to give up in the 8th inning. I'm going to hide from DS, as I feel some heavy taunting coming my way...
----------------------------
UPDATE: Okay, it's the middle of the ninth. That beloved Albert just whacked the most amazing grand slam with two men on base, putting us back in the lead. Even if we don't hold it in the bottom of the 9th, I'm so impressed with this will to hang on. They didn't give up! So I think I shall remain true to them, because they tried. Though I'm still rather fond of the Cubs.
----------------------------
Annoying Correction: My oh so smart boyfriend just reminded me that it's only a grand slam if the bases are loaded (remember when I said he knew all the tiny little annoying things? okay, I didn't say that.. I just alluded). However, this ball was hit so hard, and so far, I still think grand slam is an appropriate description. Oh, and we won!

8 comments:

*Monica said...

Great story. I got scared when I saw you on the bike though, I had to enlarge it twice to see who was steering, it just didn't make sense!

I am a total Braves fan. One of Nico's first clear words was Chipper Jones.

Monkey said...

Baseball post! Great picture. I love all of your disclaimers.

I was a Mets fan from birth and then I married Johnny Damned. Now I am a Red Sox fan.

Malicious clapping is the most sinister of all claps. Tell DS that we're on to him.

Anonymous said...

The Cubs?!? Do you just wanna root for a team that never wins? Have you not heard of the "Bambino Curse" and the "Billy Goat Curse"? Okay, so the Red Sox finally won, but it took 86 YEARS!!! Pick another team, ANY team, if you EVER want to see them win a Series!

Signed, concerned

FRITZ said...

1. This is a very poignant look at baseball. I don't watch it much, and have to have terms like 'grand slam' explained to me.

2. I lived three or four blocks away from Wrigley Field. I've written a post about that; how the Cubs keep losing, but when they lost Wrigley Field, it was shattering to me. Absolutely shattering. My family and I would sit outside and wait for the foul balls to come over the fence because we were too poor to get in and watch the game. Man. What memories.

3. When I worked in Omaha at a nursing home, I befriended a very old man who was on his last leg. He showed me pictures of his youth. Do you know? He played for the St. Louis Cardinals WAAAAY back in the early teens...such an interesting guy...

kimberlina said...

i wish i could get into sports. when i hear football on a television, my vision gets blurry and my eyelids start to droop heavily.

is mini golf a sport?

kimberlina said...

well, it's almost a sport. it's definitely more than an activity for me - working up a sweat and raising the blood pressure.

that and laser tag.

i hereby deem them: "sports."

Rowan said...

I hate sports, but I liked your story ;)

Calzone said...

you have become sooo cool sister.