October 11, 2005

Knife of Dreams

I got an e-mail today from Barnes and Noble, who are so kind as to keep me updated on my favorite authors. This is not entirely true. I just have them keep me updated on authors who are writing series that I'm in the middle of reading.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like to finish reading something. I love being immersed in the world of the book, and it's always a little disappointing to know that you can't return without starting over. This is one of the reasons I'm partial to books that come in series. This is also why I tend to slack about reading the last one. This way, I know that there is still book left to read.

I did this very thing regarding the Wheel of Time series. A friend in undergrad, whom I've lost touch with, got me hooked on them. She was in the process of replacing all her paperbacks with hardbacks, and I was the lucky recipient of said paperbacks. Speaking of which, I too like to have all my books one way or another, I don't like mixing them. This means someone can have my paperbacks too one day... The whole time I've been reading these books, which has been spread over the last 5 years, I've been told it will be a 10 book series. Thus, when I bought book 10, I didn't read it. Nor did I read the prequel that came out sometime after that.

So imagine my surprise when a couple of months ago, B&N gave me the heads up on the upcoming release of Book 11. BOOK 11 !?! What the heck happened there?? Bobi was kind enough to explain that no, it's not 10 books anymore, it's more like 13. 13!!! This is a dream come true. To think for a year that this was the end, only to be blessed with not 1, but 3 more books.

Today, the book came out. I'm still frantically reading 10, but I bought 11 today anyway. Little things make like wonderful.

5 comments:

Sleep Goblin said...

Where are you getting all of this pumpkin pie, and why the hell isn't any arriving at my apartment??

*Monica said...

Ok, i needed something new to read, so HERE I GO to the damn bookstore again.

Has anyone read that series...frick...about the dieties? like there was time, nature,death, ect. each book was a different one? Anyway, I love that one and lost the books in a move and can't remember the names.

Anonymous said...

Two things--

I started reading Wheel of Time *when it started* back in like '96 or '97 and I am very sad that it's taking so damn long to be done. And that Jordan apparently has fired all of his editors. But anyway, back then when it started, it was only supposed to be seven books. I shit you not. Now I read them in clumps of two or three so I don't lose too much track of characters and plot. (And Yak, I totally agree with you about all of the strong women turning into bitches. It pisses me off.)

Secondly--Monica--I think you're talking about Piers Anthony's Immortals series (or it's called something like that). The first book is about Death and is called _On A Pale Horse_. They were most excellent.

Oh, I guess I had three things to say. SG, if you want something that never ends, check out George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" series. It will not fail you. It's even better than Wheel of Time at its best.

*Monica said...

Thank YOU!! Yes, that is them. *hurries to ebay to find the set*

Spinning Girl said...

Ooh! I love when good things happen. I wonder if I should give Jordan another try.