October 02, 2005

Abby

This is Abby. She's my dog. I say she's "my" dog, but she lives in Kentucky at my mom's house. With my mom's 3 other dogs. My mom likes to save animals. Sometimes we call her Abba Babba. Which got morphed into Babbida somewhere along the way.

Abby is some kind of whippet mix, which are pretty much smaller versions of Greyhounds. This means that she's very lean, very hyper, can jump extremely high, and has a very high-pitched bark. She looks like she has a trampoline behind the front door when we come home. You can just see her head bouncing up and down.. over and over.. It also means that she can run like the dickens, as DS can attest. Go ahead, ask him about it sometime. It's one of his favorite memories...

This is one of my favorite pictures of her. When we got her, she was a wee little puppy, smaller than even this (she's carrying around an average sized rope tug). My step-dad decided to save her from the pound after seeing her picture online. She was the runt. We kept her in a dog cage at night until she was potty trained. However, when I would be home on the weekends from college, I wanted to spend as much time with her as I could. While she was too small to jump off my bed, I had her sleep with me. When she had to use the bathroom, she would wake me up by crawling up to my face and sticking her tiny little tongue up my nose. She still has a taste for nose snot, but her tongue is too big to fit in your nose now. Not that she doesn't try.

This weird obsession she has with licking noses extends to other things. I think she has a mouth fetish. Whenever you come home, she shows her love by biting your hand. It only hurts because she's also jumping estactically at the time. She doesn't really bite down, she just likes having your body shoved in her mouth. She's a weird dog.

On Thursday, DS and his climbing gang are taking a trip to Red River Gorge. They're going to drop me off at my mom's, and I'm going to get some doggy lovin.

9 comments:

Calzone said...

whoa dude, You want me to party with your Mom too??? You are so bad. I adore you.

That puppy is cool we used to have a great Dane round here. Loved her tons

Anonymous said...

she had a bath last night sis. she looks so good right now and she slept in my bed last night but didnt stay long. she is gonna go crazy when you come home.

*Monica said...

Adorable dog, her energy level rivals that of Cocoa!

Spinning Girl said...

That. Is. The. Cutest. Pup. Ever.

I have pup envy.

kimberlina said...

cutie little muffin head!

ok, that almost made me retch.

:) but seriously, absolutely adorable!

Rowan said...

a whippet you say? I was told to get a greyhound, and I was thinking more jack russel, this seems to be a good compromise.

Spinning Girl said...

A thing about whippets, and correct me if I am wrong: they don't really bark, right? Don't they have a high-pitched sort of yelp or squeak or something?

Monkey said...

Cute puppy... but all dogs are the Jaws of Death. Of Death I tell you!!!

Sleep Goblin said...

Yes, very high pitched. Though Abby isn't full blooded, so she barks a little when she's angry. But mostly she just squeals.