October 14, 2005

Crazy Elevator Man


I didn't know what to post today, so I went through the pictures I have on my computer, looking for inspiration. I found some.

It was Valentine's Day, 2004. I was on a class trip to Chicago for the weekend. Who plans class trips to Chicago in February? We froze our asses off.

On the itinerary was a trip to the Fine Arts Buildings. It's a grand ol' building, complete with original Otis Elevators. The kind a bellman has to man, because the levers have to be pulled every time to start and stop it. This was the bellman.

As I recall, tRJ and I were lagging behind, and so had to take the elevator up alone. Thus, I had noticed this guy when the rest of the class went up. I was prepared. As the doors opened, the camera clicked! I was berated.. and I'm not sure it was in English.

*sigh* I love my memories. This picture always makes me smile.

7 comments:

Spinning Girl said...

Eek!
I had a visceral reaction to this dude.
And not a good one.

*Monica said...

Wow, he gets a chair? I have never ridden in an elevator that needed an attendant, but it just made my list of things to do before I die.

kimberlina said...

wow, he sure looks grumpy! i love photographs that make you smile to yourself. they're so precious and important.

FRITZ said...

What a great picture and story. You should do these more often. Additionally, he looks just like me in the morning when looking at myself in the mirror. How many times have I clutched my chest and screamed, "OH GOD A MISFIT!"? Too many times...

Calzone said...

This reminds me of a similar story except I wasn't in an elevator and i was by myself.

Rowan said...

I remember these types of elevators, there used to be one downtown and when I was 5'ish I'd beg my gramma to let me wait on the main floor as I HATED going up in it. Creaky, old, gated, felt like I was ascending/descending into my own personal hell everytime. Now, I miss it and wish for nostalgia's sake, the old Robinson's was still there. Oh, and the old wooden escalators that would "slapslapslapslap" they scared me too, might have been the same old fashioned dept store taht had that....not sure.

Monkey said...

I've been meaning to tell you that I enjoyed this photo immensely. It creeped me out, but I liked it.

There is an old apartment building in Portland with an ancient elevator in it. The building is haunted, so the elevator will always take you to the basement first, no matter which floor you push. As if the elevator wants to show you something.