August 25, 2005

Wednesday was Crazy-go-Nuts!*

DS encouraged me to stop applying to jobs online, and to just bike around and see what was close. So yesterday, I did. I spend three hours biking around Middleton. I detoured at the library to get a library card, and I stopped by the Middleton Historical Society Museum, only to find that it's only open for three hours on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Crap!

I applied at several stores, and took home applications from several others. I stopped by Greenway Station last, which is right down the street from where I live. This is also where the dreaded Michael's store is, where I will no longer shop for reasons I'm not ready to talk about...

One of the last stores on my list was Kirkland's, a home decor store. I walked in and cheerfully asked if they were still taking applications. They seemed happy that I asked, and quickly gave me one. They also seemed to want me to fill it out there, so I did. (A lot of the time, I got the impression that places didn't want me filling it out there; thus, I have a bag full of unused applications if anyone wants one.) The manager seemed a little overeager to get it back from me, popping up to see if I were done yet.

When I had finished, without even looking at it, she asked if I had time for an interview. Of course I did! We go to the back, and I'm asked the usual questions. I was getting a pretty good vibe from the manager and assistant manager. They seemed like pretty cool people. So, when asked why they should hire me, I had no choice. I had to tell them the truth.

"Because I'm awesome."

And you know what? It worked. They hired me on the spot. That's right!

Needless to say, DS and I went out to celebrate last night. We went to this wonderful little spot downtown called Hubbard Avenue Diner, which is "famouse for pie." I haven't had their pie yet, so I wouldn't know. I do know, however, that their "3 giant scoop sundaes" are really more like 5 giant scoops. And they're delicious.

Then DS surprised me, or tried anyway, with a new video game as a reward for going out an getting my job. Unfortunately, The Sims 2: Nightlife doesn't come out until Sept. 14th, or so we've heard. I guess someone can give me a late birthday present... or a gift card to someplace that sells it! Instead, he got me the Harvest Moon game I wanted. Woo-HOO!!

All in all, it was a great day. I love Madison/Middleton!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
* For more information about Crazy-go-nuts, please click here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Let me be the first commentee to congratulate you.

Congratulations on your new job!!!!

Sleep Goblin said...

Why thank you so much!

It's nice to have you back online.

Unknown said...

And thank you!

I came back to write something that I forgot to write in the first comment.

You are awesome!

Sleep Goblin said...

Well, you like food, and I'm pretty sure pie counts as food.

But I wouldn't be human if I didn't like pie. Of course I do!

Monkey said...

Congratulations on the job!

And... I love Strong Bad. I have feelings for him. Please keep this a secret. Thank you.

Sleep Goblin said...

Your secret is safe with me Monkey! And.. well, anyone else that comes here...