August 28, 2005

Good Neighbor Festival 2005

I love small town festivals. Back home, in the little town of Georgetown, Kentucky, we celebrated the Horse Festival. It usually ended up being the same weekend as my birthday. It's fun to have a festival on your birthday.

Middleton has the Good Neighbor Festival. DS, Silverback, and I decided to check it out this afternoon. It was everyone's first time, though the boys seemed kinda new to the whole "small town festival" thing in general. We happened to get there just as the big parade was starting. There are a few things I feel must be in every parade:

Either a marching band, or bag pipers. Preferably the bag pipers, of which this parade had two.

Handmade floats from groups like the 4-H or the Girl Scouts.

And of course, horses.

I'm happy to say this parade fulfilled all of the necessary requirements. It was noticeably lacking in the horse area though, with the one pictured above being the only one I saw. To make up for it, every kid organization within a 40 mile radius was there, float or no float. Generally, is was no float. Which is really too bad. I loved making floats when I was a wee little Girl Scout.

On the up side, I saw some things I've never seen in a parade before, including bicycle vendors, lions on mopeds, and none other than Bucky the Badger. I adore Bucky! Thus, this parade was given an A!

No comments: