August 17, 2005

A new life goal

When DS and I visited the Henry Vilas Zoo last winter (which happens to be a great time to go to the zoo!), we stumbled upon a map of the US. On this map were red dots, representing the accredited zoos in the nation, surrounded by patches from several of these zoos.

Well, it just so happens that I like to collect patches from zoos. And right then and there, we decided that we would visit every zoo in America. So what could we do but stop at the Knoxville Zoo on our way home from Asheville, NC last weekend?

While this was by far the most expensive zoo I've ever set foot in, it was also one of the best. I suppose that $13 per person is doing some good. Though I must say, it was really hard to pay that after going to the St. Louis and Madison zoos for free.

The best exhibit, by far, was for the black bears. I've had a fascination with them ever since I went hiking through the Great Smokey Mountains a few years ago. Bears are so cool.



DS and I could have spent hours looking at those guys. They seemed very happy.

There were other memorable animals running around. My favorite had to have been the meerkats, though the others are worth showing too. So check back tomorrow for those.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

Careful though.

Bears will eat you.

Sleep Goblin said...

You lie! And your t-shirt lies too.