February 21, 2008

Moon Watching

Most of you probably heard talk of the lunar eclipse that happened last night. DS and I stayed up to watch it, and I even convinced him to drive me into farmland so I could get better pictures without the light pollution of civilization. I didn't have a telescope, but it would seem that a 10x optical zoom on a digital camera wasn't half bad. In fact, zooming in on Saturn shows what I imagine are rings, though it's hard to tell.

The image below is zoomed out, and the light has been tampered with to find the stars not quite bright enough to be seen in the photo above. There was only one star missing from the constellation Leo! (at least, in my photo; you could see it otherwise, but my camera couldn't quite catch it)

How cool is that? I was so fascinated, and even Winston and Felix spent quite a bit of time staring out the window (they're copy cats).

*The smudge of white to the left of the moon is a reflection caught in my double-paned windows.

No comments: